Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksBrief History


brief history.png
Pic 1: Land Transport Deparment at Jalan Subok (1907)

organization structure.png
Pic 2: Timeline History of Land Transport Department
  • 1907: The first footpath between Residency and Brunei Town was built at Jalan Sebok.
  • 1914: 60 miles road under the pilot scheme was constructed to link Brunei Town and Kuala Belait.
  • 1924:   The Road Traffic Act Chapter 68 was firstly introduced in 1924 and was known as "The Traction Engines and Motor Cars Enactment 1924".
  • 1926:   21 unit vehicles were first registered in 1926.
  • 1928:   The government bus service was launched from Tutong District and Belait District at a distance of 35 miles.
  • 1929:   45 units of vehicles were registered and 58 drivers were issued the Driving Licence by the Police Department.
  • 1930:   The number of vehicles registered increased to 73 units.
  • 1950:   1,500 vehicles were registered ( 975 vehicles were registered in Kuala Belait and 225 in Brunei Muara District ) while 2,048 Driving Licences were issued.
  • 1954:  "The Traction Engine And Motor Cars Enactment 1924" ​was amended and known as the "The Road Traffic Enactment 1954". Enforcement and administration were regulated by the Chief Police Officer.
  • 1960:   7,992 vehicles were registered and 7,519 Driving Licenses were issued with a total income of $294,212.00.
  • 1 January 1962:  The Land Transport Department (LTD) was established in Bandar Seri Begawan and Dato Paduka Inche Abd Ghani bin Jamil became the First Controller of Land Transport.
  • January 1969:  LTD was transferred to a one-story building at Km 5 Jalan Gadong ( now known as the Brunei/Muara District branch).
  • 1984: The Road Traffic Enactment 1955 was amended and renamed The Road Traffic Act Chapter 68.
  • 25 July 1996:  LTD moved to its present Headquarters Building at Km 6 Beribi, Jalan Gadong.